- Preheat oven to 325 °F (165 °C).
- Season meat with salt and pepper on all sides.
- In an iron cast pot, add some oil or butter, brown meat on all sides and remove from pot.
- Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze using 1 cup of broth. Add double concentrated tomato paste, roasted garam masala, bay leaves, beer, meat and dried figs (or prunes). Pour in broth, leaving 1/4 inch of meat above the broth.
- Cover and bake on middle rack for 4 hours.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes.
Turnip-carrot mash or celeriac-potato mash.